Braised pork ribs recipe with bitter gourd or pumpkin is another unique and healthy dish for your palate.
Braised Pork Ribs with Bitter Gourd or Pumpkin Recipe
- Difficulty Level Advanced
- (4.6 /5)
- (5 Rating)
- 1 kg pork spare ribs
- 1 medium sized bitter gourd or pumpkin (cut open bitter gourd, discard seeds and cut into bite size rectangular
- 1 large red onion (diced or sliced)
- 3 tablespoon oil
- ½ cube of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoonful or more thick dark soya sauce
- **To prepare sauce ingredients:
- - 2 teaspoonful of chopped garlic
- - 2 tablespoonful of minced bean paste
- - A pinch of sugar
- 1. Mix sauce ingredients - chopped garlic and bean paste together, add a pinch of sugar.
- 2. Pour hot boiling water over pork ribs to blanch it of impurities and scum. Stir and keep in hot water for 5 minutes. Throw away water and rinse ribs with cold water.
- 3. Heat wok using medium fire. Pour oil, heat it for 1 minute, add diced red onion, fry till fragrant on medium high heat. Then add the sauce ingredients (step 1) in to fry again till fragrant.
- 4. Add in the spare ribs and turn on high heat to fry with sauce. Pour some water into the bowl that contain the sauce ingredient.
- 5. Put half a cube of chicken stock and try to break, mix and melt it.
- 6. Stir fry the pork ribs until it is fragrant and hot, pour in the water and mix well. Have enough water to just cover the ribs.
- 7. Add thick dark soy sauce for more flavour and colour. Let the water boil. Cover and braise on slow fire for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 8. After half hour of braising, add the bitter gourd or pumpkin into the ribs.
- 9. Optional : When it is done after an hour of slow fire braising, if the sauce is still too watery, can add a little corn flour mixture to thicken slightly. ( 2 teaspoonful mixed with a little water into a paste)
- Servings : 7-8
- Course : Appetisers
Not knowing what to cook during family and friends gathering? Try this great nasi lemak...
Besides using turmeric powder to enhance the colour of the kuni fish, turmeric is also...
The elderly believed that leeches like to hide in kang kong stem. So, we will...
Chef tips: It is easier to cook if you buy the rough texture long beans....